Covestro AG (Leverkusen, Germany; www.covestro.com) is strengthening its commitment to containing the global coronavirus pandemic with in-kind and money donations. Thus, Covestro provides raw materials for the production of products, such as medical devices, safety goggles for medical staff and hospital mattresses. These are supplied to health and care facilities in the vicinity of the plants in numerous countries. For the company, the focus is on providing fast and uncomplicated assistance in partnership-based co-operations.
“The Coronavirus crisis affects us all and can only be overcome with solidarity. We are currently experiencing cohesion and commitment in our company to a very special degree”, explained Covestro CEO Dr. Markus Steilemann. “We want to convey this attitude to the outside world and contribute our know-how and the energy of our employees worldwide in the fight against the pandemic. At the same time, we will continue to do everything in our power to preserve the safety and health of our workforce”.
Since the beginning of the crisis, Covestro has been continuously monitoring the development of the situation and attaches the highest priority to protecting its employees and their families worldwide. In addition, the company has implemented a number of direct measures in recent weeks to provide local support to health and care facilities. With the outbreak of the coronavirus in China, employees have already supported rush orders of medical equipment manufacturers by supplying raw materials for the production of diagnostic and respiratory equipment, protective devices and test strips for disease control and other emergency aid. Further measures followed worldwide, including in-kind and money donations as well as strategic partnerships with customers. Below are just a few of the ways that Covestro is helping to fight the pandemic:
- Donations in cooperation with aid organization to supply people in need
- Donation of protective eyewear, thermometers and pillows to public health facilities in Hubei and other parts of China
- Employee donations campaign for frontline medical teams
- Donations of medical supplies to health care facilities
- Donation of material for the production of protective eyewear for University Hospital of Erlangen
- Donation of face masks to the city of Leverkusen
- Employee donations campaign
- Donation to hospital in Bergamo
- Donations to several hospitals to purchase urgently needed equipment
- Donation of material for the production of hospital mattresses
- Donation of protective eyewear to public health facilities
- Donations of hand sanitizer and face masks to local responders and public service organizations
- Employee donations campaign for a national nonprofit and support for employees who want to personally contribute to relief efforts
In order to continue to relieve the burden on medical facilities and other affected areas and thus support the massive efforts to contain the coronavirus, Covestro is also providing its existing know-how and innovative materials, for instance for the use of 3D printing technology. This also includes freely accessible software for 3D printing of mask holders, which improves the wearability of medical safety masks. In the USA, there is also an ongoing collaboration with 3D printing companies and a research institute exploring 3D printing of ventilator components, using Covestro materials and technical expertise.
An up-to-date overview of measures and initiatives taken by Covestro for the direct containment of the coronavirus can be found on the company’s website: www.covestro.com/en/media/social-media-corona
The company continues to actively explore opportunities for how it can best contribute to response and recovery efforts around the world and in the markets it serves.
Covestro is strengthening its commitment to containing the global coronavirus pandemic with donations from China and elsewhere.
The Chemical Activity Barometer (CAB) a leading economic indicator created by the American Chemistry Council (ACC; Washington, D.C.), fell 5.4…
Mondi (Vienna, Austria) is set to build new production lines in its plant in Gronau, Germany, to produce melt blown…
PolyOne Corp. (Cleveland, Ohio) launched a new functional additive for protective face masks as part of its Fiber Solutions portfolio.…
Clariant AG (Muttenz, Switzerland) has initiated the production of sanitizer solutions from its facilities in India to help curb the…
Sumitomo Chemical Co. (Tokyo, Japan) has decided to provide about 70% of the funds necessary for NanoScent, a startup company…