I D
× COMMENTARYEDITOR'S PAGECOVER STORYIN THE NEWSNEWSFRONTSCHEMENTATOR + Show More
Chemical EngineeringModular NGL recovery
Honeywell UOP (Des Plaines, Ill.; www.uop.com) has adapted its recycle-split-vapor…
Chemical EngineeringChementator Briefs
Self-healing adhesives Researchers at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (Oak Ridge,…
BUSINESS NEWSTECHNICAL & PRACTICALFEATURE REPORTFACTS AT YOUR FINGERTIPSTECHNOLOGY PROFILEEQUIPMENT & SERVICESFOCUS
Focus on Sensors
Oxygen measurement with Ex approvals & SIL2 certification The new…
NEW PRODUCTS + Show More

Comment uncategorized

Lanxess signs contract to acquire Emerald Kalama Chemical

By Gerald Ondrey |

Lanxess AG (Cologne, Germany) signed a binding agreement to acquire 100% shares in Emerald Kalama Chemical LLC (Vancouver, Wash.) on February 14, 2021. The U.S.-based company is a globally leading manufacturer of specialty chemicals, especially for the consumer segment, and is majority-owned by affiliates of the US private equity firm American Securities LLC.

The enterprise value of Emerald Kalama Chemical amounts to $1.075 billion. After deducting debt-like items, the purchase price is around $1.04 billion (€867 million), which Lanxess will finance from existing liquidity. The transaction is expected to be completed in the second half of 2021. It is still subject to approval by the relevant authorities.

In 2020, Emerald Kalama Chemical achieved sales of around $425 million and EBITDA pre exceptionals of approximately $90 million. Within three years following the completion of the transaction, Lanxess expects an additional annual EBITDA contribution of around $30 million (€25 million) from synergy effects. The acquisition will already be earnings per share accretive in the first fiscal year after its completion.

“We are gaining further momentum on our growth course. The businesses of Emerald Kalama Chemical are an ideal fit for us. We will further strengthen our Consumer Protection segment and open up new application areas with strong margins, for example in the food industry and animal health sector. In addition, we will also enlarge our presence in our growth region of North America. All this will make us even more profitable and stable,” said Matthias Zachert, chairman of the Board of Management of Lanxess AG.

Emerald Kalama Chemical employs approximately 500 employees worldwide and runs production sites in Kalama, Washington (U.S.), Rotterdam (the Netherlands) and Widnes (U.K.). Emerald Kalama Chemical generates around 45% of its turnover in North America. “Emerald Kalama Chemical has a very efficient setup, bundling all its production activities at only three sites. That is why we expect to integrate the new business very quickly,” said Zachert.

Emerald Kalama Chemical generates about 75% of its turnover with specialties in the consumer segment. These include preservatives for food, household and cosmetic applications, flavors and fragrances as well as products for animal nutrition. The remaining 25% of sales come from the specialty chemicals business for industrial applications, including the plastics and adhesives industries.

With the acquisition, Lanxess is pursuing a targeted expansion of its portfolio: The company has a strong position in the global business with antimicrobial active ingredients and preservatives, including for consumer protection products and animal hygiene. Examples are disinfectants effective against the Coronavirus or the African Swine Fever.

Related Content

Chemical Engineering publishes FREE eletters that bring our original content to our readers in an easily accessible email format about once a week.
Subscribe Now
Steel Belt Units for Medical Membranes
Upstream Oil & Gas: Automation intelligence from wellhead to distribution
Video - CoriolisMaster
Video - Do you really need a thermowell?
The influence of IIoT in the dewatering process step of pigment production

View More